All the sleep and healthy living in the world won’t erase the signs of aging and hereditary factors that impact the appearance of the skin around your eyes. Inside you can feel your very best, but outside, drooping, puffy eyelids can make you appear tired, sad, or even angry.
The solution is blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery), a cosmetic surgery procedure that removes excess tissue, puffiness and bags in both the upper and lower eyelids.
Eyelid surgery can offer dramatic improvement in the upper and lower eyelids and surrounding regions. This degree of correction of drooping eyelids, puffiness or bags can only be achieved surgically, by repositioning muscle, redistributing fat that has settled into contours, and when necessary by removing excess skin.
To achieve optimal results, Dr. Barnthouse may suggest performing other procedures at the time of your eyelid surgery such as: skin resurfacing, browlift, mid-face lift, full facelift or neck lift.
How will blepharoplasty improve your appearance?
Eyelid surgery is an excellent treatment for:
- Excess skin that hangs down from the upper eyelid or on the lower eyelid
- Loose or sagging skin that creates folds or hides the upper eyelid’s natural contour
- Under-eye bags and drooping lower eyelids
- Fatty deposits in the upper eyelids
- Wrinkled lower eyelids
Who are the best candidates for blepharoplasty?
Healthy, non-smoking, adult men and women with healthy facial tissue and muscles find the most success with eyelid surgery. It’s also important to have realistic goals. Eyelid surgery is about improving, not altering, your appearance.
It’s absolutely critical that you let Dr. Barnthouse know if you suffer from any of the following medical conditions if you are exploring eyelid surgery:
- Eye disease such as glaucoma, dry eye or a detached retina
- Thyroid disorders such as Graves’ disease and under- or over-active thyroid
- Cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure or other circulatory disorders or diabetes
In preparation for surgery...
Dr. Barnthouse will carefully explain the eyelid surgery procedure recommended for your specific case. Prior to surgery, you’ll receive specific instructions such as:
- Pre-surgical considerations, diagnostic testing and medications
- Day of surgery instructions and medications
- Specific information related to the use of anesthesia
In addition, you’ll sign a consent form to assure Dr. Barnthouse that you fully understand the procedure and the associated potential risks and complications (i.e. poor healing or infection, temporarily blurred or impaired vision, dry eye, and temporary difficulty closing your eyes)
Post-Surgery: What to expect.
Following surgery, your nurse will apply a lubricating ointment and cold compresses. Your eyes may be loosely covered with gauze, which will be removed before you are released. Before you leave, you and your caregiver will receive further post-op care instruction that may include:
- How to care for the surgical site
- Medications to apply or take orally to aid healing and reduce the potential for infection
- Specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in overall health
- A date for a follow-up appointment with Dr. Barnthouse
One week post-op:
- Swelling, bruising, incision irritation, dry eye or discomfort will peak but can be controlled with medication, cold compresses and lubricating ointment
- Maintaining elevated head position will be critical at all times
- Sunglasses must be worn to protect eyes from sun, wind and bright light
- You may return to light, normal activity as you feel ready
Two weeks post-op:
- Suture removal (if used) at approximately 5 – 10 days
- Cosmetics may be used to camouflage bruising
- Contact lens wearers may resume wearing lenses
Several weeks post-op:
- Healing will continue for several weeks
- Swelling will continue to decrease
- Incision lines will fade
- IMPORTANT: Diligent sun protection and consistent use of darkly tinted sunglasses is essential!
A few months post-op and beyond:
- It may take up to a year for incision lines to completely refine
- Final results will appear over time
- Sunscreen is essential to maintaining results – resolve be diligent for life!